Wednesday, February 5, 2014

What Masie Knew (2013) - A+


What movies do best is immersion - making you feel someone else's experience.  Here, you're immersed in a young girl's view of her life.  Her parents do not put her welfare above theirs, and you feel it.  There's no big traumatic event here.  Just a series of demonstrations, and some need on the girl's part for an emotional safe haven.

This is adapted from an 1898 book by Henry James, into a modern setting.  It's well-paced, and it's tastefully made.  The performances are strong, and the visuals nice.

I've got a bad habit of writing many more words about the films that I don't like than the ones that I do.  I don't know what more to say about this one, without starting to spoil plot details.  Immersive, tasteful, makes you feel and understand someone else's experience.  That's the deal here.  I give it an A+.  It's on Netflix, by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment