Monday, February 3, 2014

Her (2013) - D+


I was psyched for this movie.  After all, Spike Jonze usually makes interesting movies.  It stars Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams, and Scarlet Johannson's voice ... each of those is a selling point to me.  And it deals with a lot of my favorite themes - what consciousness is, what reality is, what sexuality is.  I was up for this one.

Unfortunately, the movie is a big bowl of nothingness.  The performances are fine - Phoenix is excellent actually.  (Playing Spike Jonze).  The pace is slow, but not terribly so.  But NOTHING HAPPENS.  (Is it a spoiler to tell you that nothing happens?  That there's a terrible absence of dramatic conflict?  I don't think so).  It's just one huge anti-climax.

My recommendation here is to save the money you would have spent on a ticket and apply it to almost any novel by Philip K. Dick, who writes largely about these same themes.  But with energy and vision, which are lacking here.  Rating : D+.


No comments:

Post a Comment